South Bay wine snobs, beer freeks, and liquor enthusiasts can all start rejoicing. Just a few weeks ago, Total Wine & More opened their newest big box liquor store in Redondo Beach.
This is the seventh Total Wine & More location for California and the most convenient location for South Bay and West LA residents. Don’t let the “wine” in their name fool you; there’s so much more to the store including an amazing array of liquors and beers.
Here are a few things I made note of during my first visit to this store:
- Their wines are sorted by country, region, and varietals. They also have wines sorted by “style” — like “Big and Bold” or “Fruity” — so you can easily find wines to match the taste you’re looking for.
- Wine tasting on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoons is dirt cheap. Just ten cents! If it weren’t for California liquor laws, these tastings would probably be free.
- The store is stuffed to the rafters with liquor. They have the biggest vodka, tequila, and rum selections I’ve ever seen! Entire aisles of the store are dedicated to liquor varieties. Its really like a warehouse for liquor.
- They have more than 1000 different beers in house and will place an order if you’re looking for something they don’t stock.
- Many beers are sold by the bottle so you can build your own six pack. This lets you buy a bottle or two to try it out before committing to a six or twelve pack. They even have six pack trays to use while you shop. This is the biggest plus for me since I like to explore (ha!) beers and appreciate being able to sample at my own pace and budget.
Many folks will compare Total Wine & More to Beverages & More (aka BevMo). I’m not going to do that. They’re both bigger than the average liquor stores and each has their own business models. I have heard that BevMo changes their operations a bit when a WineMo (ha!) comes into the same market; we’ll have to see if that happens for the three South Bay BevMo stores.
Total Wine & More is located in Redondo Beach adjacent to South Bay Galleria.
Total Wine & More
http://www.totalwine.com (links to Redondo store)
South Bay Marketplace
1505 Hawthorne Blvd.
Redondo Beach, CA 90278