While ducks, geese, and animal activists are rejoicing, foie gras lovers are in a funk. On July 1, the production and sale of foie gras will be banned in the state of California.
In the mean time, foie gras aficionados, and even those that have never tried it before, are clamoring to get their fill of foods made from fattened goose liver.
This week, restaurants all over California will be prepping their foie gras specialties for the last time. If you’re rushing out to catch a sample or two, don’t think you have to go too far; there are plenty of shops in the South Bay with your fix on their menu.
Following are several restaurants with menu items featuring foie gras. Be sure to call ahead to confirm your menu selection is available before visiting!
- Depot – Hudson River Foie Gras & Garlic Shrimp Club Sandwich with Applewood Smoked Bacon on Toasted Brioche
1250 Cabrillo Ave, Torrance 90501
Aimee’s Bistro – Hudson Valley Foie Gras Mousse mousse terrine, fig jam, cornichons, herb baguette
800 S Pacific Coast Hwy, Redondo Beach 90277
- Cafe Pierre – Seared Foie Gras mini brioche
http://www.cafepierre.com (Follow this link for our February 2010 review of Cafe Pierre)
317 Manhattan Beach Blvd, Manhattan Beach 90266
- Sushi Gallery Miki – Foie Gras Black Cod pan fried foie gras with a soy balsamic vinegar & broiled black cod fish with spicy miso, spicy miso soy balsamic vinegar
2201 Highland Ave, Manhattan Beach 90266
- The Izaka-ya by Katsu-ya – Foie Gras On Kobe Beef w/ plum wine sauce
1133 Highland Ave, Manhattan Beach 90266
- Hot’s Kitchen – Beef burger with seared foie gras, balsamic onion
844 Hermosa Ave, Hermosa Beach 90254
Personally, I’ve never been one to chase foie gras menu items but I’ve never turned it down when it was served. Either way the rich, buttery delicacy won’t be available around these parts. It’s going to take some road tripping to get a taste.
Are you up in arms about the end of foie gras on California menus? Are you glad to see it go? Let us know in the comments below!
Menu data retrieved from menupages.com on Saturday, June 23.