Plenty of restaurants are giving their customers the option to build their own entrées. Now beef bowl pioneer Yoshinoya is offering a choose-your-own-adventure option for guests at their Asiana Grill restaurants.
Yoshinoya is one of the oldest operating chain restaurants. They’ve been slinging their signature beef bowl since their first location opened in Japan in 1899.
Fast forward to 2013 and you can easily say “You’ve come a long way, Yoshinoya!” 😀
Their Asiana Grill concept is a fast-casual, and slightly more upscale version of their well known Yoshinoya restaurants. The dining rooms are bright, with modern looking tables and chairs.
The dining room isn’t the only thing that’s been upgraded. The menu has been expanded tremendously with a build-your-own entrée approach to ordering.
Here’s how it works:
Select from one of four entrée styles:
- Big Platter – a huge plate with rice, veggies, and a salad.
- Lots of Soup – a bowl of miso based broth with veggies and grilled rice.
- Super Salad – another bowl, this one is full of romaine spring mix and veggies.
- Great Yellow Bun – looks just like it sounds. A big, golden bun baked fresh and served with an Asian slaw of Napa cabbage.
- Pick one of seven meats are including charbroiled steak, grilled chicken, and grilled shrimp. Grilled Tofu is available as an alternative to meat!
- Lastly, choose a sauce to flavor the protein. Six sauces are available and range from the traditional teriyaki to a zingy and tart ponzu.
To get a better idea of how the whole process comes together, check out this video of our visit to Yoshinoya’s Asiana Grill in Fullerton.
In addition to the many combincations available with choosing an entrée, Asiana Grill also offers a variety of appetizers and side dishes.
The chicken wings are a highlight. Fried to a crispy texture, the wings are then tossed in the sauce of your choice. I recommend the Ginger Snap sauce!
Oh, if you’re a fan of the old school beef bowl, don’t worry. They still serve that too.
Right now two Asiana Grill locations are open. Both are near throngs of eternally hungry student bodies at Cal State Fullerton and the University of Southern California in downtown Los Angeles.
- Asiana Grill Yoshinoya
450 N State College Blvd
Fullerton, CA 92831
10:30 AM – 10:00 PM, Monday – Sunday
- 3021 S. Figueroa St.
Los Angeles, CA 90007
(213) 749-3196 * FREE Wi-Fi at this location
10:30 AM – 12:00 AM, Sunday – Thursday
10:30 AM – 1:00 AM, Friday and Saturday
* Some items mentioned in this article were provided on a complimentary basis for the purpose of this review. Prices and menu items mentioned are subject to change without notice. This story was accurate when it was published and reflects the uninfluenced opinions of the reviewers.